The Power Of Mahadeva!

Sri Bala Sri Bala

The Power Of Mahadeva!

Listen to a beautiful story drenched deep in yogic lore,
Ascribing to the power of the name of Shiva,
A great Kriya Yogi seeing the din created by devotees,
Constantly chanting "Shiva Shambo Mahadeva!",
Approached the Adi Yogi Shiva Himself and asked,
"My Lord! Why are they foolishly chanting your name,
Not knowing that all this blind show of devotion is useless",
The blessed Lord smiled and said, "Why not put it to test?"
"See the worm crawling out there, go and utter my name",
The Yogi did as He was told to and uttered, "Siva Shambo Mahadeva",
The worm as soon as it heard the name of Shiva, dropped dead,
The shocked Yogi inquired with the Lord, who was oblivious to the worm,
But diverted the attention of the Yogi to a beautiful Butterfly,
Go utter the name once again to the Butterfly and see what happens,
The Yogi did as bade and in no time the Butterfly too dropped dead,
Again Siva diverted the Yogi to a Deer not minding the Butterfly,
"Do as you did before" instructed the Blue throated One,
This time too as the Yogi uttered the blessed name of Shiva
The Deer fell dead as if it was waiting for it to happen,
Completely dismayed by the turn of events the disheartened Yogi,
Turned His gaze and saw a lil' baby wailing for it's mother to come,
Siva with a twinkle in his eyes said, "Utter the name in the ears of the Baby", and see what it has to go by,
The disillusioned Yogi couldn't control his remorse and refused to do so,
When the baby sat up suddenly and uttered words that shocked the Yogi even more,
It said, "Oh Great Yogi! Don't you recognize me? I was the worm,
Who became the Butterfly when you uttered the holy name of Siva,
Later I became a Deer when you uttered it twice,
The third time when you uttered the holy name, I assumed a human form,
Now I beg of you, please utter it once again, so I may become Divine,"
The Yogi realized his mistake and fell at the feet of Siva,
Begging forgiveness by chanting "Siva Shambo Mahadeva"...

Chant "Siva Shambo Mahadeva" and be blessed! Happy Mahashivarati!