Siva Panchakshari

Sri Bala Sri Bala

Siva Panchakshari

An old Master gave a wayward boy a holy Mantra,
He told him to chant it as much as he could do by,
At first the boy chanted it out of sheer compulsion,
But later on he began to chant out of enjoyment,
The more he chanted, the more joy filled his soul,
He became one with the cosmic rhythms of the Universe,
Na Ma Si Va Ya Na Ma Si Va Ya Na Ma Si Va Ya he chanted,
All the whole Universe got duly enamored by it all,
The sound resonance reached heaven and hell,
Summoning every elemental be it human or divine,
They felt a sure calm in the company of this young boy,
That they even left their own abode to be a part of His,
Divine beings came from all over, just to partake of the vibrations,
So did come Brahma, Vishnu and other host of Devas,
And all of the Ganas and Bhootas from Kailasa,
Parvati was left alone with Her husband Shiva,
Who was immersed in the bliss of Nirvana,
She couldn't control the pull of the divine sound,
So She forcibly made Her Lord wake up and go down,
Siva said, "Dear, you don't know what you ask of me",
"When you'll know, you'll repent leisurely",
Not wanting to hear no excuse, Sati made Siva leave,
Telling him to grant the chanter all the wealth of the Universe,
Siva with a host of Siddhas came up to the boy who was but a child,
He woke him up from stupor and asked, "Tell me what is it you want child?",
The lil' boy unmindful of the host of divinities beside Him said,
"Who are you and why did you wake me up?"
A bemused Siva said, "I am Siva, the Lord of the Universe",
Ask me a boon and I shall not refuse anything for you,
The boy smiled and replied, "I need nothing of you or anyone,
For my Master has given me the greatest gift of all and that is,
Na Ma Si Va Ya..."
Such is the power of this ancient mantra,
It will bestow upon you the wealth of the Universe,
But it'll also immerse you in so much joy that,
Everything else will be of no actual use...