Mahavidyas - one or more?

Sadhak108 Sadhak108

Mahavidyas - one or more?

Is it wrong to feel attracted to more than one of the Mahavidyas? Is it a kind of rule to pick one of Them and stick to Her? In my own case the one I am most attracted to is Kali, however, I am also very much interested in Tara and Matangi. I know They are actually one Goddess, but still They all have Their own unique characteristics, so to speak. Can one work with more than one of Them (not necessarily at the same time)?
Ninad Ninad

Re: Mahavidyas - one or more?

Mahavidyas are broadly classified into 2 categories-- Sri Kula and Kali Kula. Sri Kula has Sri MahaTripuraSundari as the main deity and Matangi, Kamala, Bhuvaneshwari , Bhairavi and Bagalamukhi closely associated with her. Kali Kula has Maa Kalika as chief deity and Tara,Chinnamasta, Dhumavati as associated vidyas. So when one is initiated into sri vidya, one has to do sadhanas associated with 3-4 of these mahavidyas along with Mahaganapati, Prathyangira, Sri Varahi.
According to a book written by Shankaranarayanan, these ten mahavidyas are but 10 universal powers doing different functions during creation, maintainance and dissolution of universe but are basically representing a single adi-parashakti.
Kailka represents Time, Tara represents sound, TripuraSundari represents Light, Bhuvaneshwari is space, Bhairavi is the kriyashakti for any task, Bagalamukhi works like a sensor, Matangi represents excellence in any creative venture and Kamala means prosperity and expansion.(Reference- Book by Shankarnarayanan).

Sadhak108 Sadhak108

Re: Mahavidyas - one or more?

Dear Ninad,

Thank you for your reply.